Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Small town America, the 4th of July...

and how I realized that while we all enjoyed the 4th of July and celebrating the freedom we all take for granted, individually we love things about the day so differently.

For instance, the parade. I would like to say that we all enjoyed the parade, however, I don't think that my oldest son was all that impressed. So again, I found myself wondering when he got too big to pick up candy that some threw while passing by him during the parade. So since I can't say that we all enjoyed it fully, I can say that I loved the parade. It wasn't the grandest parade that I have ever seen, it wasn't the worst I had ever seen either, but it was a small town AMERICA parade on the 4th of July.


If you know me, you know that I am a patriotic person, that I love the Grand Ol' Flag and all that it stands for and I couldn't be more proud of the men and women who protect MY freedom and the country that I love. I do have to say that as this very flag was carried in front of us, my husband and my son stood with their caps over their hearts, Reece, Iya and I with our hands over our hearts, and Ellee loving the red in that flag, all standing silently with my husband thanking them for their service, I looked across the street at people who SAT talking amongst themselves, laughing, and never once standing up to acknowledge the flag. I want my children to know that the land they live in did not happen by accident, that there are people that give their lives to protect them everyday, that their freedom came with a price and that IT IS NOT OK to sit as the Stars and Stripes of this great nation pass before you. It's called respect! I guess my parents taught me enough about respect for my elders to keep my mouth shut that day, when all I really wanted to do was scream at them to set an example for my children and pay respect for the people who have fought and continue to fight today for this One Nation Under God that we live in.

Reece loved the parade and every part of it. Seeing the 4th of July through the eyes of a 5 year old was truly remarkable and I was reminded that not every little boy in the world has the freedom that he has.

Where but small town America during a parade would a lady stop to answer the 100 question that a 5 year old had about her horse?

This little lady on the nursing home golf carts all decorated up for the parade knows that she lives in the greatest country on earth and is proud to be an American.

With the Freedom Rider ending the parade, proudly with his flag, I thought to myself what an amazing place this is to raise a family.

Forget parades, forget the candy and the cookouts, Caden just wanted it to hurry up and get dark so he could blow up the good stuff.
In true SUPER MOM fashion I forgot to take a picture of this little firecracker all decked out in her red, white and blue dress with her ginormous hair bow to match, so for now you get to see a picture of the freshly bathed baby getting ready to enjoy the firework production put on by her brothers in her PJ's. In the near future when she is wearing her outfit again I will take pictures.
And what a beautiful production it was!


So while we all enjoyed the day and some parts were favorites and some were not, at the end of it all we can all truly say we are PROUD TO BE AMERICANS and we are PROUD TO LIVE IN ONE NATION UNDER GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment